New Tzedakah Collection
The HINDA Institute is a Jewish chaplaincy program for the Illinois correctional system, supporting families and helping offenders become productive members of society.
Rabbi Binyomin Scheiman was our guest speaker for our social justice program in recognition of Martin Luther King Day. He told jokes and stories about how he helps inmates and their families by treating them with respect and kindness. At least 70% of the individuals that he works with do not return to prison, they are arrest free and crime free.
Rabbi Scheiman knows that the entire family is often affected by an incarceration. He works with families by providing counseling, compassion, personal interaction, and scholarships to Jewish camps.
Here are some of the Hinda Institute projects:
- Child and Family Services- Children often suffer when they have an incarcerated parent. Intervention helps children avoid potential problems in the future.
- Peer Support- The Hinda Institute connects inmates with prior inmates for mentorship.
- Legal Aid-The institute will help find pro bono aid and navigate the correctional system for inmates.
- Jewish Holiday Supplies-Inmates are their families are given Jewish holiday supplies.
- Employment Assistance-Ex-prisoners face challenges in their job search. The Hinda Institute matches ex-prisoners with employers who are willing to give them a fresh start.
As Reform Jews, we have an obligation of Tikkun Olam (repairing the world)through tzedakah (charity). Please show your support by making a donation today to help Rabbi Scheiman's efforts in healing individuals and creating a safer society.